Early church records mention a barrel organ on the small gallery above the main entrance, but what we might now regard as a church organ was not installed until 1868. At that time of course there was no electricity supply, and someone was employed as ‘organ blower’ at an annual salary of £2! The current organ, built by S F Dalladay in 1910, was originally installed where the Lady Chapel is now, but was moved to its current location on the north side of the chancel in 1912. The organ had a rather chequered maintenance history until it was finally rebuilt by George Osmond and Company in 1978.
In the period from 1978 the organ was regularly tuned and maintained, and some minor works carried out in 1992 and in 2005. However, after some 40 years of service, the organ bellows were worn out and required major work. In 2018 the bellows were restored and the organ generally refurbished and cleaned. It is a three-manual instrument with 27 speaking stops and the usual registration accessories, and provides good support for worship as well as being a fine recital instrument.
The current organ specification is shown here